Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Never Say Never

first of all, just let me say, I AM NOT A BLOGGER. in fact, i don't even read blogs. (well, except for the political ones.) the fact that I have one is cracking me up. who in their right mind could possibly care about my daily activities??? my rote behavior is textbook stay-at-home-mom stuff; wash clothes, fold clothes, put up clothes. load dishwasher, unload dishwasher, cook, make beds, etc. you know the rewarding drill. but i suppose with my recent appointment as resident cancer patient, my "now" completely unpredictable life may well have just become fodder for beauty shop gossip. (hey kris and shelley)

this blog is the brainchild of my two great friends, Dona and Courtney. it just dawned on me that they are probably already tired of spreading my hourly and daily updates! and who can blame them? let's review the details to date:

1. knot under right arm--early summer (ignored it!)
2. lumpectomy on sept. 10--removed 2 lymph nodes
3. "the call" wednesday sept. 16 "Mrs. McClendon, it's not what we expected..."
4. breast mri--friday sept. 18
5. "the 2nd call" --monday sept. 21/a.m. "Mrs. McClendon, can you come in....?"
6. ultrasound, 2 needle biopsies(ouch) and mammogram--monday sept. 21/p.m.
7. 'the 3rd call" tuesday sept. 22/pm diagnosis--"Mrs. McClendon, do you have something to write with?"

WELL-DIFFERENTIATED INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA ASSOCIATED WITH SCLEROTIC BREAST STROMA. and....

WELL-DIFFERENTIATED INVASIVE DUCTAL CARCINOMA WITH EXTENSIVE INTERMEDIATE GRADE DUCTAL CARCINOMA IN-SITU.


well, you'd think with all that in my one boob that i'd atleast be a full C-cup. let me be living proof that flat-chested women can compete!

consider yourself up to date. but be confident and know that ted and i are prayerful and joyful about our options. there are some incredible people out there who have spent their entire lives studying nothing but the life-span of a mutated cell. who, unlike me, never skipped school.... God will surely put the right one in our path.

this blog is going to cover a broad range of subjects, some of which may interest you, others not so much. this blog will not have any delicious recipes, time-saving or otherwise; i'm pretty sure i won't show you any photos of my nasty house and i will most definitely not discuss fashion (you knew that though....) this blog is a public admission of my lazy and intermittent relationship with Almighty God and how his incredible Grace is going to love me unconditionally through this entire lousy ordeal. but i must confess right now and up front--i am keenly aware that this is God's battle, not mine, not the doctors, not ted's, not even my sweet daddy frank's. i'm praying only that God enlightens me with greater wisdom of his almighty power and then nourishes my soul with the contentment of an eternal perspective. so if that seems interesting enough to you, i'd love for you to take this journey with me.

i've already shared this with some of you, but i truly feel like God has tapped me on the shoulder to be in this very exclusive bible study that He is going to lead. for the next year, we're going to get deeper into His word, taking copious notes and memorizing text (yikes). i'll have some exams, a few field trips for good measure and maybe some pop quizzes to remind me who's really in charge....anyway, i woke up the morning after call number 1 (refer to #3 above) and told ted i felt like i needed to go shopping for school supplies. within the hour, 2 sweet friends brought to me spiral notebooks, beautiful journals and an inspirational book of prayer! now how awesome is that? can i get an amen from the girls in the balcony?!!

I have this incredible peace about this entire experience. (except for the part about who's gonna keep 4 kids while we're out.) God is awesome and i am truly blessed to be one of his children. He will walk with me through this ordeal and hopefully be proud of me on the other side of it.

"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 'Do not fear; I will help you.' " Isaiah 41:13

Thanks for listening
Oh yea, I had a clear mammogram on May 8, 2009.

15 comments:

  1. Melinda, you continue to amaze me with you faith, strenght and optimism. Please know that I am praying for you all. A sweet friend passed this my way and I wanted to share it with you!

    Thought for the Day

    Each day is a day in God's plan. I am reminded that He is the Potter, and I am the clay. He is creating something in me through every experience. My clay is freer of anxiety because I realize worry accomplishes nothing. I know that God is for me. How thankful I am that He is the Potter.

    Today is the second round of chemo for my sister Carla. So far, so good!! I am praying hard for you both today! Much love to you, Ted and the kids! Monica T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of creative, no-holds-barred P.R. before, but if this is your idea of promoting breast cancer awareness month (Oct.)...it may be overkill. I'm just sayin'. LYLAS (haven't written that in about 25 years...)
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the update. Please include your specific prayer requests so that we can all be UNITED in our hearts and minds as we pray for you. Knowing that our faithful Father has his face turned toward you and is attentively listening. Knowing ALSO that he is able and willing to bless us with so much more than we even know to ask for!
    p.s. AMEN (from one of the girls in the balcony) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melinda - I can't wait to read your blog everyday! You are such an inspiration to all of us.... I remember the day that my Mom, Benton, and I went to UAB to see you and Buck when he was having his surgery. My Mom was crying and you were comforting her...... you said, "Mrs. Dethalia, everything will be OK". And look at how blessed you are to have 4 beautiful children! I can so relate to the daily routine that you do with raising those children since I have 4 of my own (oh yea, and a puppy that is also not house broken)! Follow His Word.... you will win this! Much love, Anna A. Emblom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melinda
    You are precious! What a sense of humor in all of this! Anyone out there can relate, and come away inspired. Btw, some time-saving and delicious recipes actually WOULD be greatly appreciated in your blog sometimes. lol

    As for the cancer, I am so surprised at the clear mamogram in May! It made me think about Cynthia's battle a few years ago, her problem literally began to grow when she started taking hormone pills to help with hot flashes... not sure if that applies here or not. In her case, it was very dramatic, and no coincidence. There are some doctors that deny that is connected, but it is.

    Also I am sure you are overwhelmed with reading material right now. But look into this: my cousin Jeanine, on the other side of the family, has been having great success with diet changes in her cancer battle (in addition to doctor treatments). Cliff Notes version: sugar is bad, cancer feeds on it. Raw fruits and veggies are great to fight cancer and improve your immune system.

    You are so right that this is God's battle and He is already using you to draw people near through your eyes. I am praying for you!

    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Melinda, Melinda, Melinda! You truly are an inspiration to me. Love you and praying for your healing every day.

    Amy V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you and your family very much. Praying for your healing and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know if you remember me or not, but I was the music teacher at FP until this year. I have had my share of battles with mean and cruel health issues, both for myself and my children. So, from experience let me encourage you that GOD WILL DO WHAT HE SAYS HE WILL DO! I know this and I claim it daily. You will learn so much through this journey...and you will grow. But, not only you, your family and friends will learn much. Your children will learn from you how to handle hard news, they will learn how to lean on each other, and more importantly, to lean on God. They will learn about the power of prayer. They will learn about serving as they have the chance to wait on you. Let them see you struggle and give them the opportunity to pray for you and see the answers to their prayers. We learned through our journeys that this was so much more effective than just teaching about prayer.

    I commit to pray for you daily, and I will ask The Father to hold you gently in His mighty hands.

    God bless you...and your family,

    Tonja Owens

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melinda, I hope God strengthens and blesses you and your family on this journey.

    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mel--It's me, Lynn, I'm too computer illiterate so I had to use Lily's google account. Anyway, I know I'm not supposed to be giggling at a breast cancer blog but I can't help it! You're so darn funny and I can just see you typing away and laughing as you type! I love you and you are always in my prayers! So glad you decided to do this--please thank your friends! xoxo, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melinda, I see already how God will use you. He has a plan so much bigger than our minds will ever conceive. I know in our darkest times we often experience the most spiritual growth. It is when we our brought to our knees, we really get to know our Father. You are an inspiration- and have been long before all of this. Please know I am praying for your healing. You have already blessed me so much. Thank you!!
    Amy Adams

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melinda, I am praying for you and here for anything you need. I will gladly do what I can with your 4 children, that may mean feed them junk and park them in front of the tv if you're ok with that! :) Please call me if you need anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melinda, you are an awesome person. You are admired more than you can know. We are thinking of you and praying for you and your family. We love you.
    Kelle B.

    ReplyDelete