Friday, September 25, 2009

Say "Cheese"

This blog thing is very time consuming. I'm used to just writing a few notes to teachers and some checks. Spilling your guts, though cathartic, takes a lot of energy, creativity and time. So if some days you don't hear from me, just know that I'm either tired, have no information, or I'm busy writing bad checks all over town.


Like any cancer patient who is about to start their fight against the beast, I decided it was time to take care of the important things; determining the childcare issues, paying the bills (see above) and finishing any time-sensitive family tasks. I prioritized my list and set out to accomplish the first--I got my teeth whitened! I figured, heck, if I'm gonna be bald, I'm at least gonna have pretty white teeth--and my friend Courtney agreed with me, in fact, she really talked me into it. She said it would be a nice distraction. Not to mention, my sweet husband Ted can't hardly say no to me these days. So now, after a little chemo and radiation, I just may glow in the dark!


Speaking of radiating, I went to my first breast cancer event last night at Calvary and heard Birmingham television personality Brenda Ladun talk about her two-time battle with cancer. I'm sure she gave a wonderful presentation, but honestly, the only word I heard her say up on that stage was "SURRENDER." After that, everything else sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher. wawaaawaaawawaaawa. There it was, right in front of me. The solution to my problem: I'd not surrendered it all to God. I was talking the talk, but the walkin' part wasn't jiving. It was ok if God wanted me to have this cancer, but I wanted to take over at that point. A little power struggle was-a-brewin'. I've decided that He can have all the big stuff and I'll worry about sweeping up His crumbs. And I'm not even worthy of that!


Yesterday, I reread my last blog and boy, you could cut the anxiety with a butter knife. whew! The entry about the doctors and the coconut shells was perfectly descriptive of how I was feeling, (note to self: surrender) but low and behold if I didn't get an email from my sweet high school friend Traci Sprenger V. and she told me that God would be under all the shells, not just one!!!. duh. By telling me of her own experience, she reminded me that God doesn't operate that way and that he would never abandon me like that! So within an hour, I had received two incredible messages that not only put Satan back in his little red chair, but it re energized me to focus on my maker, not the taker. Boy, I feel better.


My doctors appt. went ok today. But I confirmed that my tumors are pretty darn big, so they are more than likely going to schedule chemo, heavy, heavy chemo before any surgery. I'm still in limbo--although my files, charts, etc., have all been rec'd by the docs at UAB, they can't see me any time real soon. So I'm making calls to PEOPLE WHO KNOW PEOPLE to pull any and all strings that I can. Kirby Bland is the man. To quote Norma Hanson, he's P.L.U. That's "People Like Us" for all of you outside the Houston County metro area. He's from Abbeville for gosh sakes.


I almost bought a blow dryer today. LOL



Surrender all people. Surrender all!


love bunches

p.s. Dona Stickler and Courtney Mann are organizing a team for the Breast Cancer Awareness walk/run on October 10 here in Dothan. Please go to Dona's blog @ www.thestickler7.blogspot.com if you would like to participate.



8 comments:

  1. I am so blessed to hear that God has sent you Christian witnesses to tell you EXACTLY what you needed to hear. I am praying for a "connection" in Bham to present itself soon. Kathy Perrault is from Abbuvulle. Wonder if she knows Dr. Bland?? Thanks for reminding me about the all important SURRENDER. I am doing that today.! Hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, quit being so darn funny! I laughed out loud at your first priority--teeth whitening! I can tell you haven't changed a bit from our days in Birmingham. Mine would be highlights of course!! Do you want me to see if Jill knows anyone in K. Bland's scheduling office/Dept/etc? That's probably a dumb question---I'll just ask her. She may not but it won't hurt to ask. I love you! Keep blogging! (who thought I'd ever be saying that to you?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melinda I had bilateral mastectomy two years ago with Dr. Bland as my surgeon. My sister had bilateral mastectomy in 1998 at St. Vincents. Call me if you would like information on seeing Dr. Bland. He is excellent and I can tell you how I got in.

    Amy Short 7960968

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melinda, Thanks so much for sharing. I want to mention another breast cancer event that is happening here in Dothan on Oct. 5th--it's call Dance for Life and it is put together by the very talented and 5-yr breast cancer survivor Patti Rutland Simpson. I'll send out more details later. Also, I want to share an incredible survivor story--my father-in-law, Joe Weeks, is a 30-yr survivor of brain cancer. He was told at diagnosis that he had 6 mos to live (Ha!). At the time of his diagnosis the survival rate of this type of cancer was .05%, which translates to ONE-HALF of ONE PERCENT of all those diagnosed would make it 5 years! Anyway, it was operated on by a wonderful surgeon at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Fl (excellent cancer facility),and of course the rest is history. He not only survived, but at 72 is still practicing law!
    Good health to you Godspeed, Melinda. And I've mentioned to God that you have way too much of His work left to be done down here with us to go anywhere!
    Mary Weeks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me your teeth do not look like Ross' from that episode of Friends?! And waht else can you ask Ted for while he "just cannot say no"?? Loving you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda,
    I am on the board of the Cancer Center in Montgomery along with 2 oncologists. One is a good friend of mine. I could ask him to make a call on your behalf if you are comfortable with that. Let me know and I will call him tomorrow.
    You leave a trail of light wherever you go. You always have. A big hug to you, with love.

    Karla Foss Reilly
    karlafossreilly@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melinda & Ted, Why me Lord is a common and understandable question for anyone who faces difficult times. Why Melinda is even harder to understand. You have been such an inspiration to countless numbers of people. The leadership of your family in leading people in Dothan to establish a Miracle Field was a much needed service which we don't think could have been accomplished by anyone else. The news that you would be facing a battle against cancer was a shock to us all. The apostle Paul wrote in I Timothy 1:12 that he was thankful for the ministry that the Lord had put him into because He counted him faithful. He stated that the Lord had enabled him. In a real sense your being stricken with cancer has put you and Ted in a ministry that will allow you to touch the lives of people that you don't even know. You are proving to be faithful. We know that God will be found faithful as He enables you. God will not allow us to be tested beyond the point that we are able to withstand with His provision. You and your family will remain in our prayers. We will join the throng of people who stand with you in whatever lies ahead. Buddy & Delayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melinda,
    I am having to use Laura Beth's email account because I can not figure out how to do my own. LOL. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You are such an inspiration to so many people.( some that you do not even know.) Please know that I am here if you need anything. Paula and I have another dear friend that just fought this battle and she is now cancer FREE! We can do house work, food, and take care of children. Paula does do dogs also lol. Make sure you tell her I said so. You know that I cherish our friendship very much and you mean the world to me. Keep that great christian spirit you have always had. You are such a leader. I love you.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete